Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My very first DB.

First stop today was a house that had caught fire. The rumor was the FD found some pot plants growing in the basement. Turns out, there were about 80 plants in the basement. Go Team, GO! So when David Wayne and I were on our way back to the station from THAT scene we were diverted to THIS scene:
It was a fatal shooting on the north side in a rough part of town, (surprise). After we worked the scene for a bit, did a live shot, and waited around for a bit, I noticed this orange partition that I hadn't noticed earlier...
It probably revealed itself once a crusier had left that had previously impeded my view. I immediately figured it was a partition set up to block the victim's body from view.

I took some video of it since even though what it was blocking was pretty intense, the barrier itself was much more "PG" in nature.

Anyway, because David and I were on the opposite side of the scene from the other tv stations, (which may I add was the better side), we made our way to the side where everyone else was. This was so when the lead homicide detective was ready to come give a statement and interview, etc., we'd save him two trips. So we went over there, got our interview, (rolled our eyes at Ken Landers of channel 10 for being an ass and asking the detective why the body was left for so long in plain view of children, blah blah blah. I mean, first of all these officers aren't issued "Body Blankets" or anything that they carry around with them to cover bodies. Furthermore, shouldn't it be the PARENTS responsibility to keep their children INSIDE when a DEAD BODY is lying in their parking lot?? Seriously.) So apparently during this time another cruiser or two had left the scene. While walking back around to the other side of the street, I looked back in the direction of the orange partition and there it was, the D.B.

Up until this point I had only been on scenes where the body was well out of view or well out of view and covered by a sheet. This was the first full view I had experienced; while it was still roughly 100 ft. away, it was still a bit jolting to see. I figured whenever it happened, (seeing a body on scene), I probably wouldn't be too fazed by it considering all the reality crime shows I've seen, etc. (Like crime 360). Maybe I was to a point, but it's hard to tell at the moment. The main thing I thought about was just how odd it is. That guy got up this morning, put on all his clothes, shoes, etc. Probably had plans for the night, (some of them questionable maybe). He never had any idea that that was the last time he'll be putting on those shoes, pants, etc. It just seems a bit surreal. I guess the real test will be when I have to get up close and personal with a DB for a job. Joel has already seen a handful that way working on Crime 360 up in Cleveland. And it doesn't sound like people are going to stop "offing" each other any time soon, so the day will come...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having ridden and drove the medics and emergency squads at Whitehall, I've seen more than my fair-share of dead bodies (...live ones, too: Delivered babies, treated gun shot and other violent crime victims, car & motorcycle accident injuries, etc.), and let me tell you, you never really get used to it. But after a while, like with anything else, you get calloused and not too shocked at man's inhumane treatment of man. I remember some of the medics I rode with would sometimes crack jokes about the victims--their hair styles, clothes, positions we found them in, etc., and most times they were pretty funny. Of course, we always were respectful of anyone even remotely affiliated with the victims, and would never let them hear the crass comments.
One not-too-funny yet pretty bizarre was a suicide victim we found after being dispatched to an apartment. He had taken pills (empty pill bottle on the table), drank a couple of bottles of whiskey (empty bottles on the floor), slashed his wrists with a butcher knife then stabbed himself in the chest, and when those injuries didn't kill him fast enough, he shot himself in the head. That guy was really seriously intent on killing himself!
I hope you never need to get too close to a db, and always remember, if they've been there a while, stand up-wind.

Britni said...

This would have really upset me! Mark always tries to keep the graphic stories to himself when we talk about work....I ironically don't watch much of the news since I am outnumbered by Dora and Clifford fans in my house but I am sure this is not an easy thing to see.

Pee Gee (Cee) said...

Working in a hospital, you kinda get used to seeing people die. What really gets to me are the families. There is soooo much grief and it's expressed in so many different ways.
If you haven't figured it out yet, some parents are complete idiots! Your dad is right, however, about standing up wind...I'm just thinking of the poor bloated dead animals on the side of the road and their "sweet" (????) perfume!