Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Post slackin'

I wear my sun-glasses at work, so I can, so I can...sing lame 80's tunes and take pictures while bored at work... Yea.
Jason's son's homework. He copied and posted it on a cork board at work. It teaches us all a valuable life lesson. That lesson? Don't forget to button your shit.
Here, my house is becoming naked!! Robert started removing the siding today...or on THAT day as "today" is far from when he started.
and what did that reveal?....
A second door...interesting. I guess it'd be too much to ask that someone merely walk into the dining room first and THEN make your way into the living room. "F" that man, I want a door STRAIGHT into the living room....geez.
The old siding, up close and personal. Surprisingly, not in bad shape...until you look at...
THIS siding. Old Asphalt shingles, used as siding...wtf. We actually knew that was under the siding...but why? I guess that's just how they did it...whenever they did that. Why it's not on the very front of the house we can't say.
All the old siding is staying on the house...not much reason to take it off, (know of any reason?). It should provide for a decent amount of insulation...only problem is the stuff is pretty dry-rotted, and comes off quite easily just by picking at it. Of COURSE when we get the siding after a month of no rain, we get a lot of rain now...soaking into the crap dry-rotted siding...PERFECT. In the end it should be okay I think.... My guess is, even if it's still slightly damp once Robert starts putting the new insulation and siding over it, it should eventually dry and not be an issue. That is unless SOMEONE informs me otherwise...any takers?
And much to Megan's elation, we got her washer and dryer all hooked up and ready to go...for the most part. I swear the previous tenants/owners cooked some illegal drugs in this room... It was completely walled in before, (we took out all the drywall, insulation, etc.), and once we removed all of that we unearthed a smell so fippin' awesome I can't stand it! It smells like urine...yea. Maybe cat pee, maybe not. Of course, after all the "fun" things we've found in this room, I think it's pretty certain. At any rate, whatever nasty chemicals or "whatever" was used, (maybe they weren't making drugs, but stinkbombs!), have soaked into the sandstone used in our foundation. More importantly, it has soaked into the mortar used between the stones and bricks. I think a combination of age, and being sealed up with a ton of fiberglass insulation happened to hold a bunch of moisture right next to all the mortar joints, and most all the mortar is now pretty crumbley and useless. Last thursday I decided to slap a bunch of *NEW* mortar in and around the stones.
Looky there. Huh?! Pretty sweet...if a 5 year old were mortaring their basement. Oh well. It's more for function rather than aesthetics.
Although it does resemble icing...nasty icing.

2 comments:

Haley Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Britni said...

Sorry that last post was me!

I can't wait to see what your house looks like with the new siding. It is going to make such a big difference! I know just the new coat of paint on our place made such a big change.