Saturday, August 2, 2008

I want to kill my garden...apparently...

Here's my picture for August 1st. Megan and Levi laying on the floor as I prepare to get my game on! Maybe we need another chair in here...
So this is what results from an amateur trying to go green. I've read several places about how you can use a soap and water mixture as a simple and effective pesticide. Well, I STRONGLY advise anyone who hasn't tried this to be very particular about how many parts soap-to-water you should mix, as "winging-it" can be...well...no good.
Within a day many leaves and tomato buds were either turning brown and getting all yellow and "speckly." Within two days...looking much worse.
After the apparent problem presented itself the next day, I tried to rinse the tomato plants off with water. Apparently in their weakened state the extra weight of the water made many branches too heavy...and this resulted.
There are still signs of life! I guess this year instead of 5000 tomatoes I might only end up with 3000. For those who are asking themselves why I felt compelled to use a home-made pesticide...well...I notice over half of my tomato buds/flowers were dying very prematurely. I then noticed very tiny bugs only on the buds...possibly sucking the life out of them. I decided to take action. Good news, the bugs died...
I still have some tomatoes going strong. This one is so fat he's splitting. I've nicknamed him Jaba.

1 comment:

Britni said...

That stinks! Hopefully it will come back to life and the bugs will stay away!
I did try your soapy water bucket idea for the beetles but ended up just cutting off branches covered in beetles and dunking them in the water to drown them. I know I am awful. I went on a rampage & got a whole bunch of them without getting stung.